(1) Nurses Take DC as members of a time-honored profession and patient advocates responsible to care for the sick, promote health, prevent illness and injury and maintain levels of health for others.
(2) Nurses Take DC because it is our responsibility and NO one else's to cultivate our profession and steer it in the right direction while placing patients' reasonable concerns ahead of our personal convenience, pleasure, profit, and safety without bias, stereotype or compromising the contributions of other healthcare workers.
(3) Nurses Take DC because healthcare is a time-honored profession genuinely dedicated to helping others and OBLIGATED with saving lives and stomping out disease. Despite that heritage and DUTY healthcare has been cheapened, by any means necessary and at the COST and LOSS of so much, into just another customer-driven service.
(4) Nurses Take DC because healthcare is like no other industry, NONE! and…
-the only industry with patients
-the only industry with OUR waiting room
-the only industry in which services are sought during some of the worse moments of our lives and during inconvenient times, for uncertain, unpredictable and volatile choices in places that are unknown, unpleasant and unforgiving
-the only industry where regardless of disposable income or time services are sought after and rendered
-the only industry whose workers maintain the public's confidence year after year as the public has recognizes us as the most honest profession and with the greatest ethical standard of any industry
-most notable, healthcare is the only industry where workers go to battle for every patient and if those patients succumbs-we cry for them as well.
(5) Nurses Take DC because picking your battles is a position of convenience, as anyone who has fought any battle will tell you how inconvenient that is and it is that inconvenience and sacrifice which gives worth to the battle.
(6) Nurses Take DC because "[t]he difference between a moment and a movement is SACRIFICE!" [Joe Madison]
(7) Nurses Take DC because the time for small thinking and simply taking part is LONG past. To take healthcare back and MAKE HEALTHCARE GREAT AGAIN it is time to take OVER! ANYTHING short of that is nibbling at the edges of the status quo that has been going on in healthcare for 30+ years and accomplished NOTHING!
(8) Nurses Take DC because "Few are willing to brave the disapproval of their fellows, the censure of their colleagues, the wrath of their society. Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world which yields most painfully to change" [Robert F. Kennedy].
NursesTakeDC 2018 details here: https://4nursing.blogspot.com/2018/01/nursestakedc-safe-staffing-rally-april.html
Jose Angel Torres at #NursesTakeDC 2017